Photo Inventory: L

To view photos from the collection, visit www.umvphotoarchive.org



INVENTORY

Lantern Slide Collection LXVIII
Date: c. 1866-1930 
Scope Notes: This collection contains approximately 5000 lantern slides covering many subjects. They document the Quad Cities and the Museum’s history. Some were probably used by the museum as educational programs in the early 1900s. Many are non-local travel slides or educational slides. They have been entered into an Access database which includes (if known) title, location, date, description, photographer, and notes about the slide and/or image.
 
Documentation - For some slides, a catalog card file exists from which info has been entered into the database. Many of the Victor Animatograph slides have original descriptive cards. The W. Korn slides have associated travel journals, which was used to identify slides. 
 
The B. F. Fort Collection has been entered into the Access database for Lantern Slides but it has its own inventory.
 
Image Description
Identified groups and/or major subjects include:
Birds by Hugo L. Schroder, H. [Henry] J. Rust, B. F. Root, American Museum of Natural History, H. H. Meyer, B. P. Peabody, Miss Sheldon, among others. This also includes photos of habitat and bird houses.
Insects and animals; many published by Charles Francis.
Museum nature classes and artifacts including on exhibit in the Brady Street facility, Albany Mounds excavation.
Slides documenting travels by C. A. Ficke, Edward Putnam, W. Korn (Rotary trip to Europe, c. 1927), and H. F. Evans (Africa hunting).
Illustrated slide shows of nursery rhymes, songs and sayings or announcements – possible used in silent film theater.
Slides depicting sites in and anthropology of Egypt, Jerusalem, the Panama Canal, Alaska and Asia.
Keystone View Co. slides depicting various industries and manufacturing processes.
Local history slide show.
 
Companies which produced commercial slides represented include  the Keystone View Company, Conrad Slide and Projection Company, McIntosh Stereopticon Company, Charles Francis, Levy & Ses Fils, Chicago Transparency Co., Scott and Van Altena, Underwood & Underwood, A. L. Simpson, F. T. McLeod, Victor Animatograph Company.
 
Subject Cross-Reference
The Access database includes subject heading and cross reference. These have been printed and filed into the General Subject files, so that access to this collection can be by searching the database or by manual search in the files.
 
 

INVENTORY

Henry Lewis Collection  1974-90
Dates:  1848, 1901-2
Scope Notes: This collection consists of 10 prints of paintings by Henry Lewis showing scenes of the Upper Mississippi River.  Most prints are of scenes above Prairie du Chien, but two copies of a print of Fort Armstrong and Davenport are included.  Two other prints are duplicated in the collection.  Lewis made the original sketches during a trip up the Mississippi in 1848.  The sketches were turned into a moving panorama, paintings and lithographs.  The prints in this collection were produced in Dusseldorf in 1901 and 1902, where Lewis was living at the time.  They were donated to the Museum by Burling Library at Grinnell College.  This donation included 2 oil paintings [by Lewis].
 
List of prints
Point or Port Douglass, mouth of the St. Croix River (Minnesota) - 2 prints
Stillwater (Minnesota)
Red Wing's Village
Red Rock Prairie (2 prints)
Fort Armstrong and Davenport, Iowa (2 prints)
Le Grange and Red Wing's Village
Fort Crawford, Prairie Du Chien
 
Subject Cross Reference
Art--Fine--Painting
Boats & Boating--Shorelines
Forts--Fort Armstrong
Forts--Misc.
Indians--Religion
Indians--Tribes--Sioux
Indians--Villages & Houses
Rivers & Creeks--Mississippi
Cities--Davenport--Bird's Eye & Aerial Views
 
 

INVENTORY

Lindsay Family Collection 2012-42
Date: ca. 1910 - 1950
Scope Notes: This collection contains 9 photographs of Lindsay family members. Edwin Blair Lindsay served on the Museum’s Board of Trustees in the 1950s.
 
Image Description
 
Folder 1
2012.42.2 photo of Edwin Blair Lindsay at his desk [ca. 1950]
2012.42.3 photo of Lindsay family home [49 Hillcrest Ave], Davenport, exterior, [ca. 1910]
2012.42.4 photo of "the Blairs", A. L. Blair, brother of Capt. Walter Blair; Edwin B. Lindsay, nephew; B. B. Blair and George W. Blair, sons; aboard the SS Gordon Greene, August 26-31, 1950
2012.42.5 Edwin Blair Lindsay and 3 other men in pine forest [ca. 1940?]
2012.42.9 James Lindsay and father Edwin Blair Lindsay, c. 1942
 
Folder 2
2012.42.1 photo of Edwin Blair Lindsay in Scottish kilt, [ca. 1925]
2012.42.7 Ralph Edwin Lindsay (removed from portrait folder, stored in folder)
2012.42.8 portrait of Margaret Blair (Mrs. Ralph Edwin) Lindsay [ca. 1930?]
 
oversized stored OSCab 1 – 7 #39
2012.42.6 Portrait of Elizabeth S. (Mrs. Edwin Blair) Lindsay Corbett [ca. 1940?]
 
Subject Cross Reference
Boats & Boating—Riverboats—Gordon Greene (4)
Business & Industry—Lumber (5)
Ethnic & Minority Groups—Misc. (1)
Groups—Identified (4, 9)
Houses & Households—Gardens (1)
Houses & Households—Urban--Exterior--Identified (3)
Portrait—Blair, A. L. (4)
Portrait—Blair, B. B. (4)
Portrait—Blair, George W. (4)
Portrait—Corbett, Elizabeth S.  Lindsay (6)
Portrait–Lindsay, Edwin Blair (1, 2, 4, 9)
Portrait—Lindsay, James Edwin (9)
Portrait—Lindsay Wyman, Margaret Blair (8)
Portrait—Lindsay, Ralph Edwin (7)
 
 

INVENTORY

Lock and Dam No. 10 Collection, 1972-3
Dates: ca. 1936
Scope Notes: This collection consists of 114 photographs (housed in 1 album) which document the U.S. Army Engineer 9 Foot Channel Project, Federal Public Works Project No. 6 (Lock and Dam No. 10). The McCarthy Improvement Co. of Davenport, Iowa was contracted for this project. Photographs specifically document construction, equipment, employees, boating and views around Guttenberg, Iowa.
 
 

INVENTORY

Mississippi River Lock & Dam No. 15 Collection 2006-21
Inclusive dates:  1931-1933
SCOPE NOTES: This collection is comprised primarily of images taken by the U.S. Engineers. The pictures catalog the entire construction of the No. 15 Lock & Dam on the Mississippi River, which was constructed under and around the Fourth Government Bridge between Rock Island and Davenport. Most pictures are of the construction of the lock, dam, and cofferdams during 1931-1933 but some are of the Fourth Government Bridge and surrounding area before and after the completion of Lock & Dam No. 15.
 
All pictures seem to be the originals from the 1930's and some have duplicates (9, 15, 25, 26, 65, 67, 68, 69, 73, 76, 127, 135, 165, 166, 176, 178, 184, 191, 192). The majority of the pictures were cataloged by the U.S. Engineers in the 1930's but pictures 2006.21.189–194 did not have dates or descriptions on them.  
 
Images 2006.21.1-188 have been arranged chronologically according to the identification numbers written on them by the U.S. Engineers.  The remainder were unnumbered.  
 
Box 1
Folders 1-6: 8 x 10 black & white images
Folder 1: Inventory, images .1-.19
Folder 2: images .20-.37
Folder 3: images .38-.57
Folder 4: images .58-.77
Folder 5: images .78-.97
Folder 6: images .98-.117
 
Box 2
Folders 7-10: 8 x 10 black & white images
Folder 7: images .118-.137
Folder 8: images .138-.157
Folder 9: images .158-.177
Folder 10: images .178-.194
 
SUBJECT CROSS-REFERENCES MADE TO:
 
Boats & Boating—Barges (6, 8)
Bridges-Misc. (179)
Bridges—Fourth Government (3-5, 10, 13, 18-21, 23, 24, 27, 34-35, 45-46, 56, 60, 62-63, 68-69, 74, 81, 86-88, 96, 99, 101-102, 104-106, 112, 117, 122, 125-128, 131, 133, 135, 146, 166, 176-177, 183, 188)
Business & Industry—Bricks (123, 124)
Cities—Davenport-Bird's Eye & Aerial Views (1, 190, 191, 192, 193, 194)
Dams—Misc. (184)
 
 

INVENTORY

Lone Star Collection LIII
Date: 1962
Scope Notes: This collection consists of 84 copy color slides made by the donor in 1986. The original slides were taken by and are in the possession of donor Tony Kelly. They were taken in 1962 during a trip on the boat Lone Star, which is now part of the Buffalo Bill Museum's collection in LeClaire.
 
The Lone Star was the last boat of its type – coal-fired paddle wheeler - that operated on the Mississippi and was also one of the longest in operation (100 years). Builders Sand and Gravel was the last owner. Standard route of the boat was pushing barges of sand from Hampton, IL to Davenport. People in slides include Bill Horlass, engineer. Woman is captain's wife. Captain's name was Johnson.
 
The images document the boat operations including loading barges with sand and going through a lock (probably #14), shows various pieces of equipment, interiors views, scenes of the boat on the river and scenes of the river from the boat. 
 
DONOR RETAINS COPYRIGHT. MUSEUM HAS PERMISSION TO USE FOR EXHIBIT, RESEARCH AND EDUCATIONAL PURPOSES ONLY.
 
Subject Cross Reference
BOATS & BOATING—BARGES
BOATS & BOATING—CAPTAINS
BOATS & BOATING—MISC.
BOATS & BOATING—PASSENGERS
BOATS & BOATING—RIVERBOATS—LONESTAR
BOATS & BOATING—RIVERBOATS—INTERIORS
RIVERS & CREEKS—MISSISSIPPI 

Copyright © 2015, The Putnam Museum & Science Center, All Rights Reserved